Saturday 2 July 2011

Questions

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to try and find out some answers to the following questions. If you know the answer, or how I might find out, please let me know in the comments. If you'd like to add something else to the list, then leave a comment and I'll do my best.

- What support is available through the BMA for disabled med students
- How to access the BMA chronic illness matching scheme

- What adaptations have been made for people during their final clinical exams, especially those with pain / fatigue issues

- What some other people's experiences are of being a disabled medical student or junior doctor (if you'd like to write a guest post, let me know)
- What some examples of med schools being good at dealing with disabled students are
- What equipment is available for D/deaf and visually impaired/blind medics (I'm curious)

- How less-than-fulltime FY1/FY2 years are structured, other than the basic nights and weekends on a pro rata basis stuff (for example, will I end up doing 4 foundation years? will I have to apply for the last 2 as a locum, or will they be sorted out for me? etc)
- Whether Access to Work or Occupational Health can be any use in providing adaptations for the workplace, considering how short junior posts are

3 comments:

  1. Rhona MacDonald was running the matching scheme a few years ago, I talked to her about it at a Medsin conference. Don't know if she still is, but would suggest as a good first contact - was v helpful to me when I was thinking about doing medicine a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ATW will probably take *at least* 3 months to get anything, and have recently drastically cut what they can provide. Look on support from them as a bonus, but don't rely on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I shall chase that up and see what I can find out. It keeps getting mentioned, but I can't find anything online. I'm sure my BMA rep friend will know, I should ask. Thanks =)

    And I wasn't really expecting anything much from ATW, but a girl can hope!

    ReplyDelete