Monday 23 April 2012

Tummy Troubles

I don't post for a while and then they mess with the blogger interface. *typical* I guess this is why a couple of folk have decamped to wordpress recently.

Anyway. Enough of the boring stuff.

I'm just checking in with an update for those who are interested. And so that my brainfogged brain will remember the sequence of events a few months from now...

As you'll know if you've been reading a while, I've been having a lot of problems with nausea and vomiting (plus pain, bloating, spasms and other fun stuff). This has been going on for years, but as with everything it seems, has been getting steadily worse to the point that it's making life complicated. I think in part having my pain managed a bit means that I've noticed abdo symptoms more. And having a partner who will say 'that's just weird' every time my body does something weird has given me a lot more  insight into what's normal and what's not.

So, new GP (have I mentioned new GP yet? wonderfully competent and a bit lovely) has actually listened, examined me, taken bloods and started meds while waiting for the referral to gastro she's made to come through. I get tears in my eyes after each appointment, because 'ordinary' treatment seems like overwhelming generosity given experience with previous GP. Makes me even more tempted to 'name and shame'. Not that I will, but I am going to make a complaint to previous surgery I think.

I've been started on metoclopramide, which I think is helping, but also I've read Living (Well!) With Gastroparesis (which is my queried diagnosis) and it was really helpful.

There are some foods that are very clearly triggers, and others that I'm not sure about. I've cut back to liquids and purees, gluten, dairy, meat and soy free for a few days. I have a list of foods that I'm pretty sure are 'safe' to add in again over the next few days fairly quickly, and then I'll trial soy and then gluten. I'm vegan anyway - although these issues have made me more flexible because my diet's become even more limited and eggs / small portions of lean meat seem to sit ok. I'd like to get back to being able to cut out most meat but I'm going to see how this goes.

Was a bit upset yesterday that I still had a lot of pain on only liquids, but I hope that this can help a bit.

I don't really know where my head is to be honest. No sooner does one thing settle down a bit than another thing flares up. Still, I feel less like I'm fighting fires with new GP on side. I feel like I'm making progress slowly towards the bigger things - DLA, driving, new GP.

We shall see how this new chapter unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment